When Immigration Affects Family Law Matters

At Shulman Family Law Group, we understand the often-overlapping issues of family law and immigration.

Often, clients come to us facing family law matters that are complicated by immigration challenges. This could involve issues with a visa, resident status or citizenship.

As an International Family Law Expert, attorney Maya Shulman has a unique understanding of the issues the U.S. immigrant population faces. She speaks Russian and understands the Slavic languages of Eastern Europe. She has experience representing clients from all over the world.

A One-Stop Shop For Family Law And Immigration Matters

Family law and immigration law are two unique areas of law. Not all family law firms handle immigration matters – and not all immigration law firms handle family law matters.

If you are facing divorce, child custody or another family law matters that is affecting immigration status, it is advisable to work with a law firm that can help you with both.

For years, Maya Shulman has been helping families deal with complex family and immigration matters such as move-away cases, interstate and international family law, international child custody, and surrogacy matters.

  • Family-based immigration: Relatives of U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents may be able to seek Permanent Resident Status. This can include spouses, children, parents or siblings. Depending on a variety of factors, these proceedings may take place during the Adjustment of Status process or during Consular Processing. If it is a spouse seeking Permanent Resident Status, he or she may be able to remove Conditional Resident Status. Talk to an attorney to learn about your unique options.
  • Special Immigrant Juvenile Status: In cases where a child needs protection because of abuse, neglect or abandonment, he or she may be eligible for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status. This may eventually lead to Lawful Permanent Residence status. This may be a suitable alternative in cases where an adoption is denied.
  • Citizenship applications for U.S. citizenship by a Lawful Permanent Resident or a child of a U.S. citizen born outside of the U.S.

Talk To A Family Immigration Lawyer Today

To speak to a family law and immigration lawyer, please call our offices at 818-212-0010​ or contact us online.

Our firm values your privacy, and we will handle your case discreetly and confidentially.

From our offices in Calabasas and Santa Barbara, we represent clients globally.