Choosing the right attorney to represent you during a stressful time like a divorce can be difficult. Below are some tips to make the process a little easier.
When you’re in the middle of a life changing event like divorce, the LAST thing you need is to hire the wrong attorney.
Some people are intimidated by lawyers and the entire legal process, so the act of researching and choosing the best one for you might seem overwhelming.
One of the most important things to remember is that your attorney works for you. It might help to think of just going through a normal hiring process when you’re looking for a lawyer.
Keep in mind that just like no two divorces are exactly the same, no two attorneys are the same. Your specific case might require more support in different areas. For example, a couple that is divorcing with no children compared to a family that has custody disputes will have completely different circumstances.
In instances like custody agreements, it’s helpful to know if your attorney has specific experience in that area of family/divorce law so that they can represent you and address any complicated issues as they come.
Our firm’s specialty is the complex divorce: dissolutions involving child custody, critical financial issues concerning calculations of spousal and child support, the valuation and division of businesses and partnerships, substantial investment portfolios and multiple real properties. We have specific experience with these disputed areas.
There are a few steps you can take to ensure that you choose the best possible attorney for your situation.
- Do your research. Most attorneys have a website and online presence that you can look through. Also check to see if they have any blogs or helpful information on their site that sets them apart from other attorneys or law firms. Is it noted that they specialize in divorce or family law? Do they seem like an expert in their field?
- Read the reviews. There may be testimonials right on the law firm website, but there are also websites like Avvo that are specifically used for lawyer reviews and it’s broken down by their specific area of law
- Narrow down your options. Instead of having a huge pool of attorneys to choose from, pick your top 3 and start there. Do more specific research on their background and prior client reviews
- Start Interviews. Have a face to face conversation to get an idea of how your interactions will go. Write up a list of questions beforehand so you’re prepared and not caught off guard
- Pay attention to the office dynamic. If it takes a really long time to get a response to your questions or a return call, that’s definitely something to take note of
Once you’ve met with the attorneys and land on the best option for you, make sure that you clearly understand how your attorney/client relationship will work. Don’t be afraid to ask questions about the process, such as the filing timelines and your involvement, as well as questions about billing.
We understand the complexity of divorce and all of its disputed areas and are committed to representing our clients while maintaining a supportive relationship and addressing all of their legal needs.
Contact our firm today so that we can review the facts of your case and offer an effective course of action for you and your situation.